FFT: Quentin Tarantino Edition

My last post about the bumper made me realize how effortlessly I could make this thing sell, so yesterday I decided to do just that. As a responsibility to fellow gearheads, I have to say that I would not recommend using the paint that I used despite my good results with it. If you really want a nice, durable, long-lasting finish I would suggest doing it the right way and avoiding aerosols all together. With that said, if you’re just going to sell it on Craigslist and it’s mechanically sound and/or structurally safe: Do what you have to.

So to reiterate, this post brings the Futuramic Farm Truck build up to present times, only for today and without any spoilers. The next post for FFT will pick up where we left off.

Here’s the bumper as we started. It’s pretty beat-up looking, but actually still a very solid bumper for a work truck. It’s the same Flat-black-turned-Navy-blue that the rest of the truck is. Using lawn chairs to hold up something heavy to paint is not advisable, but I honestly don’t care if this bumper sells for the $20 it’s listed at in this condition or the $80 it’s going to be listed at after.

The back of the bumper tells the whole story of why this thing weighs a ton.

And here’s a shot of the paint that I wouldn’t advise using. I’ve personally had great luck with this paint on old rusty metal that sees a lot of use and time in the sun so I decided to use it. Plus it was free. How can you go wrong with free?

Rust, dings, old paint of different origins and bare metal showing through

Rust and flaking paint. Usually I would at least take a wire wheel and get rid of the paint flakes, but I don’t care. I’m painting right over it.

Someone tried to mangle this thing off.

From behind. This nut just spins when you try to back the screw out.

Magically -and with the assistance of pliers- the screw comes off. Look at that green grass!

Ok so I had planned on painting the whole bumper with this primer. I didn’t expect the black to bleed through as bad as it did, so I only could cover the outside face of the bumper. Thankfully when bolted on a truck, you wont be able to tell the difference. Here’s a shot of the “finished” product below. As I expected, it looks great from five feet away.

Since I’m not ashamed of the half-assed job I did, here’s some close-ups of the bumper:

A bunch of holes I never noticed before

This doesn’t look too shabby, but I didn’t even clean the bumper off.

One of the reasons lawn chairs were a bad idea. This is the only time I oversprayed, though. It can stay.

Dirt and debris.

Flaky paint.

From the back.

Here’s the interesting part. In spite of it’s herculean construction and ridiculous weight, I always thought this is the bumper that the truck rolled off the line with. Turns out I was wrong. Somewhere along the line, somebody retrofitted this heavy, ugly mug onto it after it was transplanted to Phoenix:

Apparently this company still exists, but they didn’t answer their phone when I called today.